Five Ingredients I Will Not Eat
After writing about my food philosophy a few weeks ago, I have a feeling that most of you guys think that I am completely nuts. After this post, you are probably going to think I am even more nuts, but if I cared, I would not be writing this post
I eat the way I do because I like the way it makes me feel both physically and mentally. After eating a meal with whole grains, vegetables, and grass fed meat, wild seafood, or organic poultry, I feel so much better than if I had eaten a greasy burger at McDonalds.
Nowadays, fast food and that other junk just makes me feel sick. Since I hate feeling sick (who does?), I just stay away from it. Easy solution right?
Why eat something that makes you feel terrible?
Like I have mentioned before, my food philosophy is based on eating whole, unprocessed foods.
Grass fed burgers (with plenty of cheese)?
Not in a million years.
I think you get the picture. I do not deprive myself of pizza, burgers, or sweets, but you will not catch me eating a fast food burger or a package of Oreos. I might be crazy, but this is just the way I live my life.
Over the years, I have come across some ingredients that just plain scare me.
Who the hell invents this stuff?
1. Partially Hydrogenated Oil (): Often found in frozen foods, baked goods, and other processed foods that liter the supermarket, trans fats are more harmful to your heart and blood vessels than saturated fats. Trans fat is produced by the partial hydrogenation of oils to make them more solid (when a liquid oil is converted to a solid = hydrogenation process).
If there is one ingredient that I will never again in my life consume, it is trans fat. Basically, this is the number one reason that I do not eat fast food.
Trans fats raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol levels. Not only does eating trans fats increases your risk of developing heart disease and stroke, but it also increases your chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
2. Artificial Sweeteners: Acesulfame-K, aspartame, and, sucralose, and saccharine are the most common culprits.
Some have been linked to cancer, headaches, dizziness, and hallucinations. Although some studies say they are safe, there are hundreds that say they are dangerous. They do not fit into my food philosophy of eat whole, non processed foods, so I avoid them at all costs.
3. Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrite: Nitrites enhance the color and and the flavor in packaged and processed deli meats, but they also act as a preservative and have been linked to cancer.
The only deli meats that I buy are . You seriously cannot go wrong with that brand.
4. High-Fructose Corn Syrup: This one is a special case, but I choose not to eat it. In my opinion, I do not think that HFCS is dangerous itself, but it is really only found in processed junk food. Chips, cereal, cookies, ect…
If you avoid HFCS, you are going to avoid almost every processed food out there.
Isn’t that really sad (and scary at the same time)?
5. MSG (Monosodium Glutamate): MSG is not as common as it used to be, but a lot of Asian restaurants still use it quite commonly.
MSG is a flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese food, canned vegetables, soups and processed deli meats.
Although the USDA recognizes MSG as “safe”, it has been linked to the following symptoms:
- Facial pressure or tightness
- Numbness, tingling or burning in face, neck and other areas
- Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
- Chest pain
Not only are all of these ingredients man made and completely processed, some of them have dangerous side effects.
Want to know the scary part?
They are staples in the diet of most people living in this country. There is no wonder that the healthcare industry is so profitable…