So It Begins

by Matt on January 12, 2011

First of all, I am so glad that so many of you enjoyed the article I posted this morning.

While I was reading the comments today, I think was spot on:

First of all, the nutrition facts on a label DO NOT define it’s nutritional value. Some of the healthiest foods in the world are in fact the highest in fat and calories.

Does that make them unhealthy?

Of course not. In fact, the extra fat makes them even healthier (and tastier to boot).

And another thing I want to touch on is that the healthiest foods for our bodies DO NOT have a nutrition label.

If you are looking for the healthiest foods, stick to the ones without a label. Jamie, you hit the nail right on the head!

Comment2

Have you shared your thoughts yet?

—————————————————————————————————-

Today marks a landmark in my academic career. Basically, it is the beginning of the end (the first day of my last semester).

I am really excited, but at the same time I am a little scared. I am so ready to move on to the next stage of my life (which I consider the “adult” stage), but it is scary not knowing exactly what is in store for me.

Did you ever experience this? How did you get through it?

I started my first day back bright and early at 5 AM. I had planned on going to spin at 6 AM with my friend , but the class was full :(

I even got there 15 minutes early (I wanted to warm up a little bit), but all of the passes were taken. Normally, I never have a problem getting in, but I guess people are starting their “New Years Resolutions” now that school has started. While I am proud that they are making an effort, I know that things will die down within a week or so.

At least I can spin anytime I want ;)

Instead of spinning, I went upstairs and worked out on the cardio machines. It was 20* outside and I didn’t have any cold weather gear, so I had to make due with the elliptical and the treadmill.

Wednesday Workout

Running: 60 minutes of speedwork on the treadmill (8.2 miles; 7:19 pace)

Elliptical: 30 minutes (warm up and cool down)

Today was my first attempt at speedwork in God knows how long.

Speedwork is something I normally dread and I make myself do it every once and awhile because I know it is good for my fitness. I never have a problem with motivating myself for a long run, but speedwork is just mentally tough for me.

This morning, I hopped on the treadmill and just tried to zone out to my music for an hour. I set the incline at 1% and increased my pace from 8:00 to 6:13 over the course of an hour. Whenever the song changed, I increased the speed slightly. Breaking the workout down by each song really helped me to stay focused on just that one segment. Instead of focusing for an hour, it was like focusing for ~3:00 minutes several times.

If you need help with staying sane on the treadmill, give this workout a shot and I bet it will help.

How do you stay focused on the treadmill? Or do you just not do it?

I’ve got my first class tonight at 5:00! Check back tomorrow to see how it went!

SamanthaNo Gravatar January 12, 2011 at 12:32 PM

The beginning of the end is an exciting thing. I haven’t been to spin in ages, but hoping to get back in there once I find my bike seat cover.

And I’ll never understand how you can do soo many miles on the treadmill….super human.

lindsayNo Gravatar January 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM

the beginning of the end is the best. Its getting ready to let go and embrace opportunity. Let your passion lead you, seriously!
Now with the food, I agree. The best food for you are the ones with ONE ingredient and don’t need a label. Amen to that.
ANd again, your workouts are lookin strong!
LC

January 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I’m the same way on the tready. I like doing intervals. Two minutes at a comfortable pace, 1 minute not so comfortable. It definitely helps make the time go by faster!
Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Wow, I never even thought about that when it came to nutritional value. I’ll definitely be more diligent with the ingredients. (moreso than I already am) Although I do sometimes worry about sodium count of some foods. Are those usually natural in some foods or is the soduim an additive?

MattNo Gravatar January 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Sodium is sometimes used as an additive, such as sdium nitrate and nitrite.

Most of the time, sodium is just added to make something taste good. If you do not eat a lot of pacakged foods, I would not worry too much about it.

January 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Thanks Matt! :-)

January 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Ugh I cannot stay motivated on the treadmill at all!!! I think speed work can help, a bit, but at the end of the day an outdoor run wins every time :)

January 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM

It’s definitely scary to graduate and not know what you are going to be doing next, but you’ll figure it out. Can you find an internship in a field that might interest you? That’s what I did and then I gained experience in the field and got my first job.

I sometimes do the song thing on the treadmill too. Or I run for one pace and change it up every five minutes.
Lee recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Great post on nutrition, that’s probably the first thing I learned going into raw – to look at food and calories differently and stop worrying about numbers when you’re consuming whole, unprocessed foods. A 100-calorie pack of Oreos is in no way equal to a 100-calorie apple.

Sure, I’ve been there in college and that’s true for any stage of life, the future can hold many surprises. Reminding myself of that helped. I have actually never run on a treadmill, but have done plenty of time on an elliptical. New play lists or watching TV helps. I’ve even been known to play a game on my iPhone. :-)

January 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I’m totally right there with you on being scared after graduation. Up until last semester I planned on attending grad school for physical therapy and then realized that I was just doing it for the money, not because I really enjoyed it that much. Now I’m back at square one and totally freaked out. I have an idea of what I want to do but getting there is the scary part.
Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM

1) I agree wholeheartedly with this nutrition label discussion. Consumers are easily manipulated especially when it comes to diet and nutrition. In general, they do not do their research (i.e learning what fat, carbs, and protein, etc really mean…). Food companies use consumer ignorance to their advantage through marketing (i.e 100 calorie snack packs; such a pet peeve of mine!!)
2) I graduated last May and it was as you said, bitter sweet. I can’t imagine still being in college but the “real world” is quite a transition. I hope you have a job set up because job searching is no fun :( I am currently looking for a PR position in Chicago.
3) I used to only be able to run outside but gradually learned how to run on a treadmill. It’s just boring – no scenery or progress! I find time flies if I am able to let my mind wonder. I think about things to post about, what other tasks I need to do that day, what I am going to make for dinner, etc. I also do HITT workouts to pass the time and get a killer cardio session. So warm up for 10 mins on 5.7 then start doing 1 min sprints every 3 mins (up to 8 or 9 then back down to 5.7)

That’s my two cents!
Jessica @ Dishin’ About Nutrition recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I understand your worry of coming up on a major life change. On September 22, 2006, I was technically single living at my parents house. The next day, I married my hubby. Ten days later we took our honeymoon. Two days after we got back, we moved into our new house. A day later, we picked up our golden retriever puppy. In less than a month, I went from single to married with a house and a pup to take care of. No pressure at all, right?!

Moral of the story?
1) Change is the only constant in life.
2) Sometimes it’s easier if it all happens at one time.
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I can’t believe a cycling class is full at 6 am! That is just insane!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 12, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Great point about food labels – it’s amazing how many people (even those close to me) still look at that and think something is “healthy” based on fat, fiber, protein, even if it has an ingredient list with 30 items, some completely non-pronounceable.
I definitely know what you mean about the mixed feelings of being a senior – I think the most you can do is enjoy your last semester while you can. I really miss the lifestyle of college – the freedom, how each day is different, constantly being able to meet new people. But making the time for projects and activities I really enjoy and always working towards the next steps (grad school) has helped me a lot.

January 12, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Happy last semester of college! It is such an exciting and scary time but you’ll be great!

Awesome job on the treadmill this morning. One of the things I hate about spin classes is having to get there so early to get a bike.
Jen recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I’m with you (and Gabriela!) on nutrition labels. Love what you said choosing foods that don’t have a nutrition label. I tend to eat pretty clean – it gives me energy!

It’s SO normal for you to feel scared about the uncertainty of your future…especially since you’ve been a student for so long. It’s interesting though, because even at my age (29) and married, I still have moments of fear about the uncertainty of my future (moving, job, kids, etc). So my advice is to take one day at a time. Focus on the present day and be productive, making the most of everyday. Take advantage of new opportunities and find comfort that one of those opportunities will lead to the next step in your life after school…
Dorry recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I have the exact opposite problem. I prefer speedwork over a single pace. It’s challenging for me to stay on the treadmill unless I’m pushing buttons all the time.
Maria @ The Fitted Apron recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Love it- no label= food.

On the treadmill I get a lot of thinking done… mostly planning and deciding on recipes and dinner haha

January 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM

As long as I have a good playlist, I have no problem staying focused on the treadmill. Pretty sure my workouts are no where near as long as yours are though!
Maryann recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 13, 2011 at 7:03 AM

I’m not a treadmill girl. I just can’t do it. I have my first official speed training run tonight!
Hope your class went well. :)