It Was Hilly Today

by Matt on January 4, 2011

After a few days of forgoing the gym (mainly because it was closed), I finally made it back there this morning.

I was a little worried about it being overcrowded due to the “New Years Resolutioners”, but it was actually emptier than usual and I had no problem getting a treadmill. When school is in session, it is normally PACKED in the mornings.

Maybe people are just going after work?

I don’t know why more people don’t work out in the morning…

It knocks it out of the way and you have your entire evening free, plus it gives you plenty of energy to tackle your day. Once you get out of bed and get moving, it really is not that bad at all. I have been doing morning workouts for so long that I cannot even imagine waiting until later! I think my body would get so antsy to work out ;)

Do you work out in the morning or do you wait until the evening?

I wanted to change up my running routine a little bit this morning, so I had a will workout planned.

Tuesday Hill Workout
Warm up 20 minutes at an easy pace.
Hill Interval 2 minutes at a fast pace at 4% incline
Rest Interval Recover for 2 minutes.
Hill Interval 2 minutes at a fast pace at 5% incline
Rest Interval Recover for 2 minutes.
Hill Interval 2 minutes at a fast pace at 6% incline
Rest Interval Recover for 2 minutes.
Hill Interval 2 minutes at a fast pace at 7% incline
Rest Interval Recover for 2 minutes.
Hill Interval 2 minutes at a fast at 6% incline
Rest Interval Recover for 2 minutes.
Hill Interval 2 minutes at a fast pace at 5% incline
Rest Interval Recover for 2 minutes.
Hill Interval 2 minutes at a fast pace at 4% incline
Rest Interval Recover for 2 minutes.
Cool down

20 minutes at an easy pace.

I feel like when I am on the treadmill, I need to constantly be changing the speed and incline in order to keep myself from going insane. Running at a steady pace and steady incline just does not do it for me. I am totally OCD and I always have to be doing something. I get bored really easily!

The only real way that I can keep myself occupied is by either having some really good music, a movie, or some people to watch.

Check out this gym that was doing a handstand today…

IMAG0165

He was in this position for AT LEAST 30 minutes!

I ran for a little over an hour, so watching him and this other dude kept me occupied for almost half my run. When they started doing yoga moves, it was back to listening to music… LOL.

My total workout today was:

Running: 9.78 miles

Cycling: 30 minutes

My legs are officially fried.

After my workout, I continued with “” and had some chocolate protein oatmeal for breakfast.

always hits the spot in the morning Smile

I guess I should attempt to do something productive today. Any ideas?

January 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Mornings 3x a week, Evenings 3x a week (one day has both :) )

YUM Chocolate Protein Oatmeal! Had that this morning too…with almonds!
Yali recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Wow, you are quite the runner for doing almost 10 miles in an hour or so! So far, I can only do 6 in a hour, but I’m getting there!
…And I much prefer to workout in the morning, I feel so much better mentally and physically afterwards. The whole day is ahead of me, as well!
Namaste Gurl recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM

find me a job.

January 4, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I totally agree about working out in the mornings! That guy doing the headstand for so long is INTENSE! I mean, doesn’t he get a headache after awhile from all the blood in his head?!

January 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM

i usually run in the mornings. if not i get into a real procrastination trend. no bueno. but great hill workout. i’m the same way with the tm. doing intervals of some sort always makes the time go by faster.

January 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I am 100% a morning workout girl! Love it!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I definitely prefer to work out in the mornings. I’ve been feeling unmotivated lately, but when I get out there, I’m so glad I got it over with!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM

30 minutes?! That’s an intense headstand! I can’t wait to get back to yoga – I want to get into some inversions already. Gotta work on my core and arms first…
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I love morning workouts when it’s warm, but I love working out in the afternoon when it’s cold. I try to find the most warmth I can in the winter. I think I just like changing my routine every few months.

January 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM

In the past couple years I have come to love morning workouts. I think this is partly because I was forced to regularly do it because I teach a 6 a.m. class on Mondays so I start my week right. Mornings are by far my VERY favorite time of day to practice yoga.

Awesome hill workout! I am impressed you can knock out 10 on the treadmill. It kills me!
Jen recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 4, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Long time lurker… don’t comment very much. Love the blog!

I ideally “like” to work out/run in the morning, but I am a teacher and have to be at school pretty early. And, because I’m a teacher I’m always done by 4! So that gives me plenty of time in the afternoon usually. And, in college, my team practiced every day at 3:35pm so it’s pretty much ingrained in my head that I should be running in the late afternoon. The bummer thing is that I have to watch what I eat pretty closely throughout the day because my stomach can be very sensitive when I run.
Sara recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 5, 2011 at 12:21 AM

I prefer to workout in the morning because the gym is just too packed at night and like you said, I like to have my evenings free!

I also have to constantly switch the pace when im on the treadmill…except I usually only go fast for one minute at a time and then recover. Its amazing how slow a minute feels when im dying at the end of a treadmill workout!
Maryann recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 5, 2011 at 6:34 AM

I did 10 miles on the treadmill once and I have NO IDEA HOW…I get so bored!! That guy definitely must have been funny to watch though!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 5, 2011 at 6:52 AM

I’m an evening exerciser – always have been! Plus, I start work way too early to get up and workout in the morning. :)