Getting Your Booty Out Of Bed

by Matt on January 21, 2011

Each and every week, I get a variety of different questions from readers, but the most common one has to be:

How do you wake up at 5 AM (or earlier) every single day to workout?

I know I make it seem like it is no big thing, but it is not easy. Trust me, there are a lot of days where I just want to throw my alarm at the wall and hit the pillow for another few hours.

I actually cannot remember the last time that I actually did this, but it has happened in the past. If it does, just remember that it is not the end of the world. Do not beat yourself up about it and remember one thing: tomorrow is a new day.

For me, it is actually pretty simple:

I LOVE to be active. It is by far the best part of my day. I wake up each day with a smile on my face as I am heading to the gym or out for a run.

Another thing is that I have never regretted a workout, especially an early morning one. The feeling of accomplishment that I have for the rest of the day makes waking up worth it.

If you are struggling to get your butt out of the bed in the morning, give these tips a shot:

1. Get everything ready the night before. Before I go to sleep, I make sure that my clothes are laid out, my iPod and my Garmin are charged, and my coffee is ready (essential).
  2. Mentally prepare yourself for your routine the next day. Keep reminding yourself that you will have to be up a little earlier to work out the next day, instead of ignoring it or putting it out of your mind.
  3. Make sure you get enough sleep. It is common sense that if you are waking up earlier, you need to go to bed earlier.
  4. Put on your workout clothes immediately after you wake up. I wear the same clothes for several days in a row, so going back to bed in those clothes is not an option ;)
  5. Meet a friend. I can always count on to get me to 6 AM spin!
  6. Do something you like. Take a spin class or a dance class. You do not have to chain yourself to the cardio machines every morning in order to workout.
  7. Do not beat yourself up if you hit the snooze and you miss your workout. Life goes on, but just do not do it tomorrow. LOL.
  8. Plan a special breakfast to eat after your workout. Pancakes come to mind ;)

How can you not want these after a workout?

Another thing that keeps me motivated is that I know I am not going to have time to do it later. Between class, work, and studying, there are only so many things I can do in the afternoon. I know that if I miss my alarm, I might not workout that day.

When I miss a workout, I get cranky. Trust me, you do not want to be around me when I get cranky…

What are your tips for getting up early to workout?

——————————————————————————-

I put my tips to the test this morning for a 4:30 AM wake up call.

Friday Long Run

Running: 15.11 miles (7:55 pace)

I was up a little earlier this morning to get my long run in. Bama-dad is coming into town tonight to hang out with me this weekend, so I wanted to get my long run out of the way.

My long run went as well as it possibly could. Despite staying up until midnight doing a case study for my business strategy class, getting up felt pretty easy.

When I am doing a long run, I can pretty much wake up on command ;)

Does anyone have any fun weekend plans?

Look for a few guest posts from and !

1. Long Run: Part 1 “A man who dares to waste one hour of time...
  2. Football Friday I am really happy that it is Friday for a...
  3. Feels Like Summer Hello Monday! Time: 1:34:00 Distance: 12 miles Average Pace: 7:50...
  4. I Like It Rough “If we attend continually and promptly to the little that...

January 21, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I always get a light on right away. It never fails to drag my butt out of bed
Karyn recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I have a great weekend coming up! My brother in law is getting married tomorrow and I’m performing the ceremony! :-)

January 21, 2011 at 11:01 AM

When I want to wake up early for a workout, I always set my gear out the night before. I’ve been sticking to afternoon workouts lately, though. It ensures that I get enough sleep and I can avoid the icy, pre-dawn hours.

January 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Love the title of this post!
Your tips are great – they are what I tell participants in my class when they ask me how I do it. :)

January 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Those are pretty much all my tips too! I give myself a pep talk before I go to bed also :) Plus after you get in the habit you don’t think twice about it, you just get up!
Aron recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Thanks for sharing these tips. I have always struggled with waking up early so this really helps. Just cannot get my booty out of bed – maybe it’s a block :( Gotta overcome it! thanks for the tips!
Sonal Chopra recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

lindsayNo Gravatar January 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

oh I preset my coffee to go off before my alarm. That way I wake up smelling it! AWESOME! Nice long run, fast!
LC

January 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM

15 miles at 5 a.m. – you are AMAZING! I love morning workouts too. It took me a while to get used to them but now early morning is my favorite time to practice yoga.
Jen recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I like how you mention never regretting a workout. That’s something I try to remind myself of any time I don’t want to run in the cold/snow/rain/heat :) My favorite workout t is a Nike one that says “nobody has ever regretted it” on the front. Great post!
Kali recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Just knowing that I wont have to do it later makes working out in the morning so much easier for me. Waking up early gets easier with time and of course, plenty of sleep is essential!

January 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I love waking up early, but the last thing I want to do is work out! I’m hoping to get in at least one early morning workout a week when school starts. It’s so nice to get it over with!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I’ve been loving morning workouts lately, definitely not as early as 5:00am though! I’ve been waking up without an alarm by 8:00am which works perfectly for me.

Emily recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I am an early exerciser too! It’s my best time of day, mentally and physically, to be active. I think what gets me up is knowing how great I will feel heading to work having already worked out and eaten a good breakfast. Somehow those 2 things totally just set me up to have a productive day. It’s definitely not always easy but I know once I get up and get into it, I will be glad I did it. More than anything I think it’s routine – practicing getting up early every day and just knowing how good it is for me.
Great tips, Matt!

January 21, 2011 at 9:12 PM

You’re such an amazing runner! I’d kill to be able to sustain 9:30s over a 15 mile distance! Haha. Good for you!!

One question–how much sleep do you need? I know every body is different, and some people feel fine on six while others may need eight. I commend you for being able to get up so early, I just wanted to know if you go to bed super early or if you’re able to thrive with not a ton of sleep!
Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 21, 2011 at 11:38 PM

You are such an amazing runner!! I always remind myself how good I feel after I workout, and that gets me out of bed and ready to go. :)
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 22, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Great tips! Getting up at 5 is *not* easy, but I think it becomes routine after a while. Kind of like brushing your teeth or eating breakfast.

I can’t wait until the mornings get brighter so that I can start running in the early am again. While I don’t *hate* night running, nothing beats an early morning run to start the day. :D
Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile