2011 Goals

by Matt on December 30, 2010

Now that we are on the eve of 2011 (literally), it is time to start planning out what I want to accomplish next year.

I remember my first “real” New Years resolution. It was for the year 2007 and I vowed to give up soda for the rest of my life. This might not sound like a big deal, but for me at that time, it was a massive accomplishment!

When I was in junior high and high school, my normal breakfast was a bag of Doritos, a pack of pop tarts, and a Sunkist. Sometimes the pop tarts were exchanged for a cookie, but the Sunkist was essential. Back in the day, I probably had at least 3-4 a day MINIMUM. My addiction to soda started in around 7th grade, but lasted until I started eating healthier at some point during senior year of high school.

Since that day, I have not had a single drop of soda (regular and diet). The first few weeks were tough, but once February rolled around, I did not even think about it. Actually, right now I think soda is pretty disgusting and you could not pay me to drink it. Actually, it depends on how much you are paying me…

Didn’t you know? Kombucha is the new soda ;)

This year, instead of “resolutions”, I want to set some “goals”. I feel like the term “resolutions” makes me feel like I need to fix something that I screwed up, but in reality, I do not think that is the best way of going about improving yourself.

To me, fixing something feels like I am going back, but setting goals feels like I am moving forward.

Does that make sense?

To me, setting a few goals at a time is the first step in that large “resolution”. Let’s say your New Years resolution is to lose weight.  Try setting a few goals like:

• Exercise 4-5 times per week
  • Cook dinner 5 nights a week
  • Eat more fruits and vegetables
  • Limit processed foods

By doing these things, your going to live a healthier life, but your probably going to lose weight by doing so. This also takes less pressure off of yourself and it should make the process easier. This does not work for everyone, but things like this work extremely well for me.

In the past few weeks, I have spent a lot of time thinking (mostly while I am running) about what I really want to accomplish next year. My goals are broken up between a mix of exercise, personal life, and health.

1. Have A Job Upon Graduation

This is going to be tough, but if I really work hard at it, I think I can find some employment. When I graduate, I would like to have a job so that I do not have to move back home. Honestly, I would not mind living at home for a few months until I can locate a job and get on my feet, but I really want to start my post-college life right away. I LOVE living on my own and being independent for myself, so this is my top priority for the upcoming semester.

2. Complete A Half Ironman

At some point next year, I will complete a half ironman. I had one planned for May, but as of now, I do not think I can possibly fit it in my schedule. Between graduating, moving, and within a week of the race, I do not think traveling to Orlando is feasible.

However, I will fit one in. Someone just needs to teach me how to swim ;)

3. Save More Money

I have a actually been pretty good about this the last few months, but I have a terrible tendency which involves me spending money on things that I do not really need.

Have you seen my nut butter collection?

That is exactly what I am talking about ;)

Next year, I want to try and put around 25% of every paycheck into my saving account. Since I spent $307 at last month, I think that this is definitely something that is doable if I make a few minor cutbacks.

4. Train Smarter

I have a mental problem where I think that more is ALWAYS better. To me, more miles = better training (this is what I used to think). In October, that really came back to bit me in the butt and I developed ITBS in my knee (I couldn’t walk for like a week).

Next year, I want to continue cross training, but I also want to start running more. I have not been running as much as I would like to the past three months, but I feel so much  better than when I was running a lot just to “run”. I think incorporating cross training into my daily exercise routine has made me an even better athlete.

5. Continue My Eating Philosophy

Over the summer, I think I finally found the eating philosophy that works best for me.

You can read about it here.

By not eating processed foods, I feel 100x better and it is only logical to continue eating that way.

Why change something that isn’t broken?

6. Experiment With New Foods

Lately, I have been in a massive cooking rut. Instead of trying new things . I have just been making the same things over and over again because they are easy and familiar.

I think that this is happening because I am buying the same exact things every single week (again, because they are easy and familiar).

If I buy new ingredients, I am obviously going to cook different things. DUH.

It looks like I  need to get my butt to ;)

In a nutshell, those are my goals for 2011. Nothing out of reach or too elaborate, but just a few things that I want to work towards.

What are your goals for the new year?

December 30, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Stellar goals! I’m sure you’ll achieve them all.

My main goal = work on self-confidence.

December 30, 2010 at 7:45 AM

i totally have the same problem with thinking more training/running is always better. Luckily nothing terrible has happened…yet :\

My goals would be
1. run a marathon
2. blog for a full year
3. get an A in biology
Kailey @ Caffienated Nut recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

December 30, 2010 at 7:58 AM

25% is a lot to be saving every paycheck, but if you can afford to do it that’s pretty damn awesome.
I can’t believe that you spent 300 bones at WF in a month! That place is crazy expensive, eh? On the plus side, at least you’re keeping track of where your money is going!

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Have you ever heard of Mint.com? It helps me keep track of EVERYTHING.

And WF is a total money sucker ;)

December 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Yeah, I have my own budget on Excel that I use to keep track of my spending. I’d prefer not to keep that stuff online.

BetsyNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Sounds like some really good goals for 2011. Happy New Year to you. Glad you had a nice time with family for Christmas. Love your blog and that you post at least once a day. It is fun and informative to read.
My goals are to continue to work on keeping a healthy diet for my family. It is difficult for a picky 2 and 1/2 yr old but we continue to try.

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Thanks!

I can’t even imagine trying to feed a picky two year old…

December 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM

My goals:
-continue the sugar-free transition to wean off artificial sweetners. Right now, I rely heavily on stevia for coffee and diet dr. pepper for my mid-afternoon, post kindergarten chaos, pick-me-up-off-the floor necessity drink. When it comes to baking, I’ll continue to use molasses, bananas, applesauce, and honey.

- goal races: Twisted Ankle half marathon trail climb. I did it last year and can’t wait to tackle the elevation again. Cahaba River ramble in Birmingham is also on the list. I’ve done that one every year it’s been in existence and plan to keep it up.

That’s pretty much it!

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I use stevia too. Do you have an issue with it? Are you against it?

December 30, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Stevia is by far the best sweetener. I’m trying to get to the point where I’m not craving sweet things so much. I want to cut the amount of sweetener in my coffee and ditch the diet soda each afternoon.

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Good idea! I need coffee in the morning, but that is about it ;)

December 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Good luck on the job aspect! I think the economy is a little better, but it was a nightmare when I graduated. Do you know what kind of job you’ll be looking for? Business? Health? Both?
Susan recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Something that does not involve sitting at a desk all day. Maybe something where I am paid to run or cook. LOL.

December 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I love your 2011 goals – especially those relating to graduation and financial security. So awesome that you are focusing on those things! A half-Ironman is a huge undertaking but it seems like you are more than ready for the training that it will require. Can’t wait to read about all of your 2011 adventures! Happy New Year!
Jen recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Thanks!

The training will be tough, but I am ready ;)

December 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Giving up soda was one of the hardest things I ever did. I used to drink up to 6 Coke Zeros a day! It was even harder than giving up coffee – not sure what they put in those things, but it’s highly addicting. Honestly, I still crave soda, but I feel much better not drinking it.

Goals for 2011 – Learn to say “no” more often and not overcommit myself.
Heather Eats Almond Butter recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I totally need to learn to start saying “no”. That is one of my weaknesses!

December 30, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I LOVE your goals. We have a lot of the same ones! I need to save more mula and I always have the mentality of more miles = better….I need to train smarter. Great goals. I always look forward to reading your blog everyday!
recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

December 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I’ve yet to write down all my goals…ahhh I can’t believe the year is over already!! I must admit that I still love diet soda. I’ve cut way back, but I just love the bubbles way too much to ever give it up completely!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Tisk tisk ;)

December 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM

great goals. that money one is huge. i’ve been putting money into my savings every month, not too much but i figure some is better than none.
Karyn recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

December 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Atleast you used to eat something with your soda consumption! I have friends who just drink coke as a b-fast!

Makes me happy that my parents make my siblings and I healthy b-fasts in the am!

Good luck with your goals, stay injury free in 2011!

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I thought that you guys ate snickers for breakfast?

December 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Love your goals – especially #5! I know what you mean about the soda thing! I never had a 3-4 times a day habit, but I always used to have at least 1 or 2. When I gave it up for a long time, I found that I no longer craved it. Plus, if i ever ended up having soda – it actually HURT. I’m no longer used to the carbonation so it really bothers me to drink it – it hurts my throat and stomach and makes me all burpy (never good!) I still have some on occasion, but I’m talking maybe 2 times a month instead of 2 times a day! SO much better!

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Soda is the devil ;)

December 30, 2010 at 4:31 PM

You have a great, well-rounded list of goals for the upcoming year. I like that you have incorporated career, money, food, and fitness into the list. My goals for this year are mostly financial. I need to save, save, save!

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Thanks!

Saving money is tough, but totally worth it when you get that “goal”.

Just try to stay away from WF. LOL.

December 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Your #6 goal will be my on-going weekly blog challenge beginning next week: choose a new ingredient weekly so I shake things up in the kitchen.

My biggest goal right now is reducing sugar. I need to listen to my cravings and understand what they really mean.
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 6:55 PM

How about we do #6 together? I am totally up for a new ingredient weekly!

December 30, 2010 at 7:44 PM

You hit the nail on the head about the word “Resolution” – I’ve always associated it with negative connotations.

Great goals – that 1/2 Ironman is ambitious – especially if you can’t swim :)
Baking ‘n’ Books recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar December 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I won’t drown, but I will NOT be the first one out of the water ;)

December 30, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Great goals Matt!!! PS: try to find a job up in the NYC area!!! (for future blogger meetups!!!!!)
Lin recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

December 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Looking forward to seeing some new foods!
I think training smarter will be great for you- more miles doesn’t mean better training; I’ve had to learn the same thing
Chuck recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 4, 2011 at 6:56 AM

my goal when i got engaged was to cut my nut butter consumption…lasted 2 weeks. :( Either way great goals…it’s smart to start looking for work since I see all these graduated bloggers having such a hard time finding a job!! BTW is there anyway you can change your commenting thing so it’s easier to comment for people using their iphone? I was trying to read your blog and couldn’t do it! too many verifications!
diana@mymarblerye recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

January 4, 2011 at 3:32 PM

awesome goals! The HIM goal is so exciting :)
Aron recently posted..My ComLuv Profile