Cooking My Way Through College

by Matt on November 6, 2010

Hello fellow bloggers and readers!

As most of you know, I am a Business Management major at the (well, if you didn’t, you know now).

While I love going to school here, I absolutely hate my major. I thrive on health and fitness, so sitting at a desk all day and crunching numbers is not exactly my cup of tea.

I’ve had some interesting classes, but most of them have been snooze-fests (that might actually be an understatement).

However, this year, I have enrolled in my favorite class to date, MGT 386. MGT 386 is Fundamentals of Entrepreneurship. I consider myself VERY independent, so this class is right up my alley!

For this class, we have to literally start our own business that offers some kind of service or product and actually make money on it. We have $50 of start up capital, so most people have been using resources that are already in their possession, like a family business or something of that nature.

Hey, I have a blog and a boat load of recipes, so why not sell a cookbook?

The best part is that the opportunity to capitalize on this venture is there: College students do not know how to cook. Even better, they don’t know how to cook something that is healthy and delicious at the same time. Remember that I am not talking about bloggers; I am talking about general college students.

My partner and I have decided to sell a cookbook full of recipes that will make college students want to start cooking. It is a way to show people that healthy food can be delicious. However, you don’t have to be a college student to enjoy the recipes; they are for for everyone :)

In addition to selling hard copies on campus, we are also going to offer an electronic copy at a discount price (because we don’t have to pay for printing).

Another perk of buying this electronic copy is that it will be frequently updated (every month or so). I plan on continuing my cookbook after this project is over because it is something that I really have a passion for.

By purchasing the electronic cookbook, you will be added to an emailing list and sent a brand new updated copy for a small fee.

The electronic cookbook is selling for $7, which is very affordable even in these hard economic times.

If you are interested in helping my partner and I pursue our passion, click this  or the image below to complete your purchase. Remember, if you buy the cookbook electronically, you will receive an updated copy for $2.

Electronic Copy Above
Alternatively, If you would like to purchase a hard copy that comes in a nice case, you may do so for $10 + $2.50 for shipping and handling. This makes a GREAT holiday gift!

Hard Copy Above

Once you purchase your cookbook, you will receive it early next week via email. If you have any questions at all, feel free to contact me.

Thank you for everyone’s support in our new venture!

I would also appreciate anyone spreading the word by tweeting, linking back, or telling your friends/family about my cookbook.

Thanks!

And PS, this would make a great gift for the upcoming holiday’s ;)

kNo Gravatar November 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM

there are a millllllion cookbooks for college students. u and your partner need to check amazon. you need to find something that will make it stand out. not just “healthy college cookbook”, something else.

November 6, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Dear K,

This is a project for a class…. did you miss the beginning of the post?
Sana recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar November 6, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Well said!

November 6, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Hm, “k’s” comment seems a little blunt, but he/she has a point. The sad fact of cookbooks is that they are becoming obsolete for anyone with internet access. (I know some “foodie” types LOVE cookbooks and continue to buy them, but cash-strapped college/post-college folks like me? We’re just gonna Google recipes online for FREE!)

BUT – I’m sure you already know that, and I bet you and your partner are working on ways to address those obstacles. This project sounds really exciting and it’s fantastic that you get to base it around something you’re so passionate about. (Also, even if the business management major is boring… I bet it will be a great base for you if you do eventually go into the restaurant business!)

eatmoveloveNo Gravatar November 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I do agree with this in that you need to have something stand out. There are already a bunch of cookbooks out on how to eat in college, easy recipes, vegan or not, etc.

BUT – there are a zillion cookbooks in general! That’s life! And that’s competition. It hasn’t stopped a bunch of cooks or authors from putting out their own books right?…heck, just go to the “Diet” section of the bookstore or library…oye….there are a million…

November 18, 2010 at 1:29 AM

I agree with these points as well, but at the same time I think it’s a very good idea for a class project since it’s a product you created with already available material and if you market it right you can make it work. :)
Mary (A Merry Life) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM

i definitely love the idea and spirit of this project. i’ll be interested to see how you make it pop and stand out and what the outcome will be. are you going to be using recipes that you post here? or are you modifying them to be less…i don’t really know what the word i want to use is…but foodie? i don’t know what the living situation is down at your school but where i went to school the cooking space was tight as not many people lived off campus.

either way i can’t wait to see how this turns out! very exciting and cool that you get to literally start something from scratch!
Karyn recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM

posted about this on my blog!!!!!! Sounds like a really neat class. I <3 entrepreneurship
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar November 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I think you should buy one so you can review it on the blog and tell everyone how awesome it is ;)

November 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM

beyond awesome. i was thinking a few weeks ago that you should do something like this anyway… maybe the school-project will take off and you can use some of the $$ to have real ones printed! :)
lindsay recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar November 7, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Thanks! Does that mean you will buy one? ;)

November 9, 2010 at 9:23 PM

you gonna put up some screen shots (or something) to build the hype/so i can see what you’re selling? :)
lindsay recently posted..My ComLuv Profile