2010 Thanksgiving Turkey Trot

by Matt on November 26, 2010

Yesterday morning, we continued our Thanksgiving tradition of running the local turkey trot.

Call us pansies, but we almost decided to skip it this year. Overnight, a cold front came through that brought high winds, rain, and cold temperatures. Being from Texas, the cold is not exactly welcoming for this family. I will take 80 degrees over 40 degrees any day of the week!

While we love to run, we don’t love to run when the conditions are miserable. On holidays, we like to take it easy and enjoy ourselves.

Who is with me on that?

However, the conditions didn’t look that bad, so we decided to just suck it up and go. I’m glad we went because it ended up being a great experience!

When it comes to running, everyone in my family has different running abilities:

• Well duh, I am pretty serious about running. I mean, I do have a blog about it ;)
  • Bama-sister is more of a recreational type runner. She runs 4-5 days a week, 4-5 miles at a time. She’s done a few races, a half marathon, and has another one scheduled in two weeks. She does it mostly to stay in shape, but she has fun doing it as well.
  • Both my my parents run mostly for fitness and to lose weight. I think Bama-dad likes it, but Bama-mom mainly does it to stay in shape (nothing wrong with that at all). Both of them have come a long way in the last year in regards to exercising more and eating well. I am so proud of them :) Keep it up!

Like usual, we were running a little behind this morning (welcome to my family). I left my race bib at home, so we had to run back to get it. I guess we were running late because of me, but it actually worked out well in the long run (pun intended ;) ). We were lined up about 10 minutes before the gun went off, so we didn’t have to stand outside in the freezing cold for too long :)

The only downside to getting there at the last minute was that we had terrible position in the starting pen. When 35,000 people are starting at one time, the first mile is always a power jog. I think I tripped over about 10 people within the first minute. I guess the best way to meet someone is to get up close and personal right?

Since we all have different running abilities, we ended up running our own races. My parents ran the 5k with each other, but me and my sister ran the 8 mile race.

She was shooting for a goal time of about 1:15, while I was shooting for about an hour, or 7:30 miles. I wanted to treat this as a treading run because honestly, I had no idea how my knee was going to hold up. I haven’t run any more than 8ish miles in the last month (with absolutely no speed work), so a training run was definitely in the cards.

After running the first mile in about 10 minutes (thanks to the 35,000 other people crowding the streets), I ended up running between 7:20-7:30 per mile.The course was actually fairly challenging. When the hills were combined with the strong winds, there were a few portions that were just plain tough. I like a challenge though, so it was awesome ;)

Want to know the best part?

SOMEONE RECOGNIZED ME FROM MY BLOG!

HEY SHARRON! It was great running with you for a few minutes!

Oh and if I spelled your name wrong, yell at me and I can change it ;)

Have you ever been recognized from your blog? I’ve had a few, but not too many. This was awesome!

So who ran a turkey trot? How was it?

1. Buying A Thanksgiving Turkey Thanksgiving is a time for friends and family to come...
  2. Thanksgiving Traditions When the clock ticked 12 PM yesterday, I was officially...

November 26, 2010 at 7:27 AM

I’m with ya on the weather conditions. I’m a wimp and backed out of my turkey trot yesterday when it was less than 40 degrees and downpouring when I woke up. I went to Turkey Yoga instead!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 26, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I’m with you on that, for sure!
VeggieGirl recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM

That’s great that you all got out there to run! The wind and cold rain are the two things that will make me rethink my run pretty quick!
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I ran my 5 mile Turkey Trot in MA. It was 33 but not windy. I started off slow to run with my mom and then half way through I pulled away and finished in 48:55. It was probably one of the best runs ever. And the day ahead was guilt-free! :-)

November 26, 2010 at 7:43 AM

I love when families get together for races! So fun :D
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 26, 2010 at 7:50 AM

It was FREEZING at my Turkey Trot yesterday…but that just makes it so much more hardcore :) Great job on the run!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM

That’s too cool! So nice you do that with your parents. I hope my son will do that when he’s older too!
Greta recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

Bama papaNo Gravatar November 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Had a nice easy run tos start off Turkey Day. Running conditions were good except for an occasional wind gust.

November 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I might have been more motivated to do a Turkey Trot this year if it hasn’t randomly dropped to 20 degrees on Thanksgiving this year. Today’s it’s back up in the 50s, but anytime the temps dip into the 20s, all desire to wake up in the morning and run go straight out the window. Glad you had a nice family run!
Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Did you trot in the vibrams or shoes? I am so glad see your whole family do that together, my family thinks my running habits are crazy!
Stephanie recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Yay! I am glad you and your family went! Only my brother ran, I was too sick :(
Sana recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Nice job on the run man! I totally feel you on almost bailing because of the cold!

And that’s so tight that somebody recognized you from your blog!

November 27, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Sounds like a HUGE race!! How fun! I love that your whole family runs. That is awesome you were recognized…..I haven’t ha!
recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 27, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Awesome race!!

That must have been so cool being recognized! It’s yet to happen to me, but I can imagine my reaction being over the top with excitement if it ever does. ;)
Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

November 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM

My mom and I ran an unofficial Turkey Trot 5K with about 25 people from my gym – just a random pack of local runners. It was super fun and totally free!