Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich

by Matt on October 1, 2010

Being a busy college student, I am always preparing quick, healthy, and delicious meals. While I love taking my time to make pancakes, waffles, or stove top oatmeal, some mornings I just don’t have the time.

We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day:

1. Energy

Eating breakfast means you “break the fast” and give your body and brain the energy they need to function at their optimum level. The means that you will feel better throughout the day. How can that be a bad thing?

2. Starts the Day Off Right

By eating breakfast, your body will be more satisfied throughout the day. Studies have shown that people who eat breakfast actually weigh less than people who don’t. By eating breakfast, you won’t have the urge to overeat later.

3. Increases Concentration and Performance

Studies have shown that adults who eat a healthy breakfast are more efficient during their workday than those who don’t. Eating breakfast helps keep you productive and focused throughout your work or school day.

4. More Nutritional Benefits

Breakfast is a great opportunity to eat nutritious foods like whole grains, fruits, dairy, and healthy fats.

I would also recommend eating breakfast if you workout in the morning, like me. It is essential to give your body fuel to repair itself.

This sandwich is loaded with whole grains (spelt), healthy fats (eggs and avocado), and protein (eggs and ham). These three macro nutrients are essential to any balance meal. There are even some vegetables in there ;)

Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich

Ingredients

• 2 slices of bread or an English muffin (I used )
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-2 slices of ham (I used )
  • 1/4 of an avocado, mashed
  • Thinly sliced tomato
  • Spinach

Directions

• Toast bread.
  • On each piece of bread, spread about half of the mashed avocado.
  • Layer one slice with ham, spinach, and tomato.
  • In a , fry the egg. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add the eggs to the sandwich and serve.

What is your favorite quick, easy, and healthy breakfast?

October 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I agree breakfast is so important! Definitely my favorite meal of the day and this sandwich looks so good :)
Bec recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

October 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM

my favorite breakfast is instant oats with peanut butter and banana. i will eat it everyday. but i love breakfast in general so i’ll eat cereal and breakfast sandwiches at all hours of the day. i probably could live off of breakfast foods

October 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I start steel cut oats in the rice cooker when I leave for my run so they are ready when I get back. I like that I can mix it up with different toppings too. That sandwich looks unbelieveably amazing, I need to make one of those immediately!!!!
Stephanie recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

October 1, 2010 at 3:36 PM

That sandwich looks super good. I love egg + avocado!

My favorite easy breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal — pop it in the microwave, add a scoop of PB and slice up a banana in there. Boom: breakfast is done!
Holly @ couchpotatoathlete recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

October 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Oatmeal, toast…as long as there’s a nut butter and Jam involved – it’s all good :)

Good post. You seem to have Spelt bread a lot. I’ve never tried it before. Any reason why you choose that bread over others?
eatmovelove recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

October 1, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Drool! I am feeling this. I am going to whip some up for breakfast this weekend :)
Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

October 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day! My favorite quick breakfast (during the week) is kashi cereal mixed with Oikos caramel yogurt. Quick and easy! :)

October 2, 2010 at 5:13 AM

That’s totally my kind of sandwich. Looking good!
Most of the days I just make some porridge but I let it cook on low while getting ready for the day – this way I still get to eat a lovely breakfast and don’t have to spend the entire time in the kitchen.

KristinNo Gravatar October 2, 2010 at 7:03 AM

I had something similar when I went for brunch last weekend. If you feel like splurging, use bacon instead of ham. I think it was called a “breakfast BLT.” You could probably make it healthier by using turkey bacon if you wanted.

October 2, 2010 at 7:58 AM

definitely admire you for making healthy and nutritious meals even though you have a busy schedule…i’m sure it will definitely pay off in your running and your academic performance! i really don’t know how some people don’t eat breakfast!
emily recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

October 2, 2010 at 12:43 PM

My go-to AM fuel is oatmeal with banana and pb. In fact, I like it so much that sometimes I have it for dinner, too. Oops! Great looking sandwich.

October 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Breakfast is BY FAR my favorite meal of the day! I love pancakes and oats…and always with banana.

October 3, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Oh my goodness, this was definitely the exact kind of breakfast sandwich I was craving after my half marathon this morning…it looks to die for!
Kait recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

October 20, 2010 at 8:04 AM

You make me want to get up early to be able to make this monster of a sandwich for breakfast! Looks so yummy!