Love/Hate

by Matt on October 25, 2010

Hey everyone! Thanks for your responses regarding my post last night! Each and every comment made me feel like I was doing the right thing; the support from this community is just unbelievable. Thank you!

After reading and responding to your comments, it seems that you guys have mixed feelings regarding people posting workouts.

To me, I just feel like running is such a person thing; people come in all shapes, sizes, and mileage cranking abilities. While some people are running 10 minute miles and having the time of their life, that doesn’t mean that people running 7 minute miles aren’t haven’t the time of their life as well. I enjoy each and everyone run, no matter much torturous it feels or how much I want to curl up in my bed and go back to sleep. To me, that is a runner. Someone who enjoys it.

On the other hand, I DO like reading what other people are doing because it gives me a sense of where my abilities lie and it gives me ideas for workouts. It is such a complicated situation and it makes me feel incredibly lost.

While I do not want to post EVERY workout, I do want to post the highlights. If I have a new, creative idea or if I completely own the roads, I want to post about it for bragging rights ;)

Sound good?

It does on my end!

To get the ball rolling, I had a great strength training workout at the gym this afternoon. I received a terrible haircut after work, so I went to lift weights and blow off some steam.

Exercise Sets Reps
A1 BOSU Ball Push-Ups 4 10-15
A2 Low Cable Row 4 12
B1 Incline Dumbbell Bench 4 10
B2 Upright Dumbbell Row 4 8/side
C1 Lateral Raise 4 10
C1 Shrugs 3 10-12
D1 Medicine Ball Squat 3 15
D2 BOSU Ball Squat 3 15
E1 Planks 3 1 min
E2 Pillars 3 30 s/side

If you have any questions regarding what the exercise is, shoot me an email on my contact form and I will try to describe it as best as I can. If you Google the name, you can probably get an idea of what they are.

I have a love/hate relationship with strength training. While I know it is something that is essential to any serious athlete, I just hate doing it. I get absolutely no satisfaction from going to lift weights at the gym. It doesn’t get my endorphins flowing and it just isn’t fun for me. I am surrounded by men that are twice my size and I like a shrimp swimming in a sea with sharks. That is the best way for me to explain it!

And it makes me feel sore. Running makes me feel sore as well, but in a good way. You know that good sore that makes you feel like you accomplished something? That kind of sore.

Lifting weights makes me feel like I can’t even lift my fork to eat my dinner. How can that be good?

Regardless, it was a great workout. I will be feeling it tomorrow ;)

Before I check out for the night, I have two housekeeping situations to address:

1. I am looking for 2-3 guest posters while I am out of town this weekend. I doubt I will have time to blog, so I am counting on you guys to fill in. If you are interested, please use my contact form and shoot me an email. The sky is the limit with your post ;)
  2. I have a great deal going on right now! If you visit my , you can purchase two jars of and get the third jar free! Actually, it doesn’t end there! If you enter the code THEKITCHEN30PCT, you’ll receive an extra 30% off your order. When it comes to Nuttzo, that is seriously a steal! Hope to it! I already got my jars :)

Thanks for listening to me babble tonight!

1. Intervals… Love ‘Em or Hate ‘Em? Wow an actual post about running Sorry I have been...
  2. It Is A Three Shower Kind Of Day… “Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you...
  3. Doubling Down This is going to be the shortest post of all...
  4. 100 I wrapped up a 100 mile week today My second...

October 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM

sounds good :)

i have a love/hate with lifting too. but it’s mostly a lazy relationship: i don’t want to do any of the work hahah!
Karyn recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I am right there with you ;)

October 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I have my suspicions about whether weight training is “essential for any serious athlete.”

I’m currently a lazyass “anti-strength trainer” so here comes my rant:

Certainly it’s “in fashion” with serious athletes, but essential for all serious athletes across every sport? No way! Might just be one of those things that’s trendy based on “the latest” scientific findings from “the experts.” The thing about science and it’s recommendations for training, nutrition, and all that jazz? It’s ALWAYS, always changing! So if weight training isn’t something that lights you up, don’t bother. On the other hand, if YOU know that it gives you an edge, that’s the reason to do it. Bottom line every time, every day, is listen to your body and not necessarily “the experts…”

Ps., Yeah, apparently I leave lots of long comments on your posts these days. You are great at writing posts that make me think. :-)
Cathleen recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Haha. I think that “just running” makes me a little flabby. That is my main reason for it ;)

October 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Well said Matt- you gotta love it and you gotta run for you. Run, lift, eliptical, what ever makes someone happy…not conformity.

I would love to do a guest post, if you would like! But any thoughts on what you would like it be about, so that we don’t bog about the exact same things? Haha
Chuck recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

October 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM

How are you going to keep up your “sexy runner” persona with a bad haircut? :-P I also have a love/ hate relationship with weights. The day after the workout is always the WORST! I generally stock up on Advil for those days.
Lin recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I will have to wait for my hair to grow out ;)

October 26, 2010 at 6:57 AM

I LOVE lifting!!! I love the burn…. :)

You gonna post a pic of this alleged horrible haircut??

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Say pretty please…

October 26, 2010 at 7:20 AM

I hate strength training too, but yeah, you gotta do it. I think part of the problem is that I lift on days when I have to work out super early, because it’s too early to run in the dark. The schedule makes sense, but 6am lifting is a double whammy!

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM

6 AM lifting sounds like hell. LOL.

October 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I love being sore from a workout! I love when my legs are so sore that I can’t walk down a couple of stairs, when my butt is so sore that I can barely squat to sit in a chair, when my arms are so sore that I can’t turn the steering wheel of my car (okay maybe that’s a bit dangerous). It makes me feel just as accomplished as when my hips are sore after a long run.

I’m not too interested in seeing people’s running stats, but I love to see people’s weightlifting routines just to get ideas of what I can incorporate into my own.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Would you like me to post more lifting workouts?

October 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Really enjoying your comments about runners. Every shape and size, so true. It’s whatever floats your boat.

Like your training schedule, should keep things interesting!
Nichole recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Yep!

October 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Oh man, if I wasn’t going out of town as well, I would totally volunteer for the guest post! Anyways, I feel the same about strength training. I feel like I do not get as much out of it right after as I do with running. And then there is the delay in the sore feeling. Typically the next day or two days after is when my body starts screaming at me for the workout I did before. No fun!
Jessica @ Healthy Obsessions recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Two days after is the WORST. I have trouble driving my car! LOL.

October 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM

see, that’s what i love about weights…i feel so strong when i’m so sore and tired!
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

Jamie in ArkansasNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I am feeling it today too. Did a full body strength training workout yesterday and I can’t even sit on the toilet today I’m so sore!! I never do lower body stuff because I run and bike so much, but on the advice of my trainer, he told me to get after it. That it would help my running and biking. Now I remember why I hate it. I’m too dang sore to even bend over!! I had to skip my run this morning because of it and I have a half marathon in two weeks. NOT COOL. Not sure how long I can keep it up!

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:53 PM

You can do it!

October 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM

ughhh, i hate lifting, too. i’ve been trying to do it more, but like you said…it just doesn’t compare to the thrill of running.
emily recently posted..My ComLuv Profile

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I think I know that all too well…

October 26, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I went back to the weights today. Ugh! I have more hate than love for strength training, but as fit as I feel, all the running makes me feel a bit “marshmallow-y” if ya know what I mean. I need more strength training in my life.

MattNo Gravatar October 26, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Totally feel ya on that ;)