Brewing A Kombucha “Mother”

by Matt on August 26, 2010

TGIT! I’m sure that I am happier than most that it is Thursday, but it’s because today is technically my “Friday”. Instead of going to class tomorrow, I will be taking a flight home for the weekend! Home > Class any day of the week.

I started out my “Friday” with some easy mileage.

Time: 1:28

Distance: 11.53 miles

Average Pace: 7:35 per mile

OH MY GOD IT FELT NICE THIS MORNING. I woke up to an absolutely gorgeous 70* this morning. PERFECT. It was cloudy, breezy, and crisp. The weather had fall written all over it. I hope it is here to stay!

Have you gotten hit with any Fall weather? I have read on a few other blogs that people are experiencing similar weather.

It’s amazing how much easier running feels when the weather is cooperating. When it is really hot out (like it’s been this summer), I never feel like I truly have an “easy” run. Even when I am running slow, I feel like my body has to work so hard to stay cool, that I never truly feel relaxed.

This morning, I had one of the fastest runs I’ve had in awhile, but it truly felt really easy. I never felt like I was working too hard, but I still managed to run quite fast. I hardly even broke a sweat actually.

I think training through and enduring the summer heat has put me in the greatest shape I’ve ever been in. If I can run through an Alabama summer, I can run through anything.

Kombucha

Last Sunday, I started growing my own Kombucha culture or "Scoby”. The Kombucha culture looks like a beige or white rubbery pancake. It’s often called a “Scoby” which stands for:

• Symbiotic
  • Culture
  • Of
  • Bacteria and
  • Yeasts

The culture is placed in sweetened black or green tea and turns a bowl full of sweet tea into a jar full of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and health-giving organic acids.

What is Kombucha?

Kombucha is a fermented tea that is often drunk for medicinal purposes. Kombucha contains multiple species of yeast and bacteria, as well as the organic acids, active enzymes, amino acids, and polyphenols produced by those microbes.

So what does it do for me?

Most Kombucha brewers commonly claim Kombucha aids cancer recovery, increases energy, sharpens eyesight, aids joint recovery, improves skin elasticity, and aids digestion, but there is little published research on the health benefits of Kombucha. Because of the little scientific research done on Kombucha, these are just “claims”.

How To Create A Kombucha Mother

• First of all, you are going to need to start with a bottle of plain or ginger Kombucha. You want it to have some floating particles in it; these are the healthy bacteria cultures. I used .

MOTHER 004

• Get a small sauce pan and boil 1 cup of boiling water. Add two tablespoons of organic sugar (I used turbinado). Let that dissolve. The sugar is what the Kombucha Scoby is going to use to feed on and grow.
  • Add a bag of organic green or black tea and let it brew until the mixture comes to room temperature.
  • Removed the tea bag and add your bottle of Kombucha to the sugar mixture.
  • Place all of the contents of the mixture into a glass jar.

MOTHER 006

• Cover the jar with a cloth and a rubber band.
  • Place it in a warm, dark place for 2-3 weeks until your Scoby has grown!
  • In a few days, you should have a thin, white film that looks like this:

MOTHER 001

Eventually it will grown into a thick, mushroom like pancake.

011

010

Have you ever tried Kombucha? What do you think of it?

I am also thinking about adding a “Kombucha Progress” page. Would anyone be interested in following my progress?

1. I <3 Massages Well hello there Sunday. You sure snuck up on me!...
  2. Feels Like Summer Hello Monday! Time: 1:34:00 Distance: 12 miles Average Pace: 7:50...
  3. Running = Love Tomorrow is Friday I am really ready for the damn...

August 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM

enjoy being home! after coming back from texas i miss it! so i’m way jealous of you heading there :)

and YES to fall weather. at least in the mornings for running. i still want my summer afternoons and evenings hah. i’m such a brat!

August 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Nice! Definitely make a progress page for the kombucha. Interesting stuff!

August 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM

awesome, I didn’t know how easy it is to grow a mother. I’ve been brewing kombucha for a little while now, I just started a batch yesterday, and I have 8 bottles of kombucha and seven scobys! So cheap and fun! oooh and tasttyyyy!

August 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Thanks for the kombucha run-down. I’ve been seeing that on healthfoody blogs but haven’t come across an explanation until your post. The fall-ish weather spurts have been so, so amazing. Great run! You seem to be getting faster by the day. I’d love kombucha progress updates — this is like a biochem science experiment — cool!

August 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Enjoy your trip home! Kombucha…hmmm…I’m still afraid of it. I remain interested in the updates!

August 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Hey Matt! I’m really interested in the Kombucha. Can I just drink that first bottle on its own? Where did you get it in Bham? How much do you drink out of that bottle at first? I’m heading to Whole Foods this weekend…I assume they don’t carry it! HELP! haha. And if you brew your own, I’ll buy some from you…I know people who do that!

August 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM

@Andrea, I found it at Whole Foods in b’ham. I haven’t tried it, but I did look for it and found it there. :-)

August 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM

@Andrea, OH! and Manna Grocery in Ttown carries it. I saw it there about 2 months ago.

August 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM

@Katrina,

Ooh, I have to go to Manna tonight, so I’ll look! And I’m going to Whole Foods in Bham and Bottletree this weekend, so I’ll check! Thanks Katrina!! <3

JessNo Gravatar August 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM

my comment is so irrelevant to your post but i just wanted to say that i love your blog! i just came across it recently. i’m a bit of a running “addict”, if you will, and love to read about your daily runs. i don’t quite come near your mileage but i’m averaging about 60 miles/week right now as i train for an october marathon. i had the exact same experience yesterday on my run where it was the first time in months that it actually felt cool rather than oppressively humid. i couldn’t get over how much easier my run was and also how easy it is to forget that summer weather really does impact your performance. i’m a little disappointed that they’re forecasting weather back into the 90s this weekend (i live in NYC) but hopefully fall will be here in full force soon enough. anyway, great blog and i can’t wait to keep reading. good luck with the kombucha project.

August 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Oh man…I wish Colorado was experiencing fall weather now. It was in the upper 80s/lower 90s during my run this afternoon, and you’re so right in that even a super slow pace feels like so much work. Heat is so hard on the body! Ugh…can’t wait for cooler weather!

August 26, 2010 at 11:52 PM

This morning was PERFECT weather for a run. And I’ve never tried the stuff, but would definitely be interested in your posts on it.

August 27, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Hi.
I have a few things to say:
1) I like how you turned Thursday into Friday. I think I will change all the days of this upcoming week to Saturday and Sunday..

2) Fall weather is just sooo beautiful. It makes me want to skip around outside.

3) “Place it in a warm, dark place for 2-3 weeks”…… really? TWSS?

Yes. Make a progress page for more sketchy things :)
The End.

August 27, 2010 at 1:54 AM

No Kombucha here. Yo nice run, I did 11.51 tonight, ha! It was after a 44 mile bike and I averages like 7:10…but by the second half of the run my feet and shoes are drenched in sweat and its like I’m running with weights on my feet- does this happen to you at all, as if you so any advice?

What kicks do you run in, by the way?

August 27, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Our temps here are fantastic, too!!

Have fun with the parents this weekend!

August 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM

I have actually never tried it and I am kind of afraid to try it. I don’t know why. I guess because I have never really heard a description of it. Good job growing it on your own! That is awesome.

August 27, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Kombucha actually scares me a bit, the idea of drinking something with particles in it I think it what stops me.

Ditto on the appearance of fall weather! We have seem some high 70′s in the mornings with minimal humidity, only like 60% (that is minimal for FL, ha!). It has been a welcomed change, I think brought in by all this rain. But I agree with you, I hope it is here to stay!

August 27, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I would love to see your Kombucha progress. My boss has made it before and I’m considering making it as well — maybe I’ll watch your progress and then decide if I want to try it out.

August 27, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Did I stumble upon an 8th grade science experiment?

ChelseaNo Gravatar August 27, 2010 at 11:41 AM

That’s quite the science project you’ve got there. It makes me think of the guy I knew in college who tried to brew his own beer (and failed)… I don’t think I’ve smelled much worse that that! We are having cooler weather here. Thursday morning it dipped into the high 40′s!

August 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I’m so jealous of your weather! I haven’t started a run in cooler than 85 degree heat in MONTHS!

August 27, 2010 at 1:44 PM

SO neat that you’re making your own Kombucha! I love it, and am impatiently waiting for it’s return to store’s shelves. I’d definitely be interested in a progress page.

August 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM

definitely hit fall weather over here. LOVE it..makes running so much more fun. :-)

i’ve actually never had kombucha…you’ll have to let us know how your homemade version tastes!